Harriet Welty Rochefort and Philippe
Rochefort are experienced and sought-after speakers on Franco-American
Separately or as a team, they
regularly give talks in English to groups such as:
- Students in France on a high school or university
Study Abroad Program (Oxbridge, Duke, Northwestern...)
- Newcomers to Paris (Lycée International,
- Paris community outreach programs (American Library
in Paris, American Women's Group etc.)
"How do they eat all that food and not get fat"?" is only one of the innumerable questions foreigners ask about the French. How do French women learn to tie their scarves just so? Why do they look fashionable even in jeans and tennis shoes? Why do French business people spend so much time in meetings and reach no conclusions? Why is the customer NOT King? Why are they always on strike? And why do the French want to legislate on the veil and the burqa ?
Both bilingual, Harriet and Philippe have answers by the bundles to all these, and many other questions. As a Frenchman with a background in international banking and a fresh retiree working on his doctoral degree in history at the Sorbonne, Philippe is uniquely qualified to explain the workings of French institutions to baffled foreigners. As an American in France, Harriet has spent the years since her marriage to Philippe in an earnest quest to figure out the French, resulting in scores of articles and two popular books, "French Toast" (out in paperback in 2010, St. Martin's Press) and "French Fried". Immersed in the culture, she's an insider. Yet she's kept her uniquely American perspective. This mixture allows her to share, always with humor and a true love for the French, her observations and analysis of the profound differences between the French and the Americans.
If your group needs a luncheon speaker to keep that crowd awake with an informed but humorous talk on the French, either Harriet or Philippe or both, will more than fill the bill. Harriet takes on the thorny topic of cultural differences (education, food, sex, love, marriage, politesse - all topics covered in "French Toast") and Philippe sheds informative light on French history, business, politics and the French psyche.
Philippe Rochefort also gives customized person-to-person training sessions for English-speaking top executives assigned to France (see testimonials).
All speeches are tailormade in consultation with the client's needs. Talks are in English, with a Powerpoint support. Click for testimonials and fees.
and Philippe as a team have given talks on Franco-American
cultural differences to many groups from US universities
|| By Philippe
||Recent examples :
- Regular speaker at the CECEI International Media Seminar (American University of Paris since 2005)
- Keynote speaker, "The French
Are Different!" International Media Program, American University of
Paris, March 2009
- Guest speaker in a conversation with Pascal Baudry, Stanford Club of France/American Club of Paris Nov. 2008
- "Franco-American intercultural differences" (ex Alliance Française, Omaha NE, Oct. 2008)
- Guest speaker on "Celebrating Cultural Differences", Lycée International St.Germain en Laye, Check in to France Program, every year in September
- Speaker on Franco-American cultural
differences at the "France and U.S.A." seminar at the French Senate, June 2, 2007, televised on French public
- Northwestern University,
- Duke University,
- Missouri Southern State University
- University of Nebraska
- "AmCham : one century of men and women in Franco-American trade" (American Chamber of Commerce, May 2012)
- "Corporate culture in US firms" and "Ajusting to French corporate culture" (for foreign students) (ex. Telecom ParisTech, since 2009)
- "Working with the French" (ex HEC MBA International Program 2010)
- "The history of American firms in France" (ex. American Chamber of Commerce, July 2009)
- "Intercultural differences
and French political life" for American business school
students (ex. Nantes Business School, June
- "Doing Business in France" (ex. Missouri Southern State University, Joplin, MO, October
|Harriet Welty Rochefort
is American. A freelance writer and author of two
informative and lighthearted books on the French ("French
Toast" and "French Fried"), her third book about the French ("Joie de Vivre : Secrets of Wining, Dining and Romancing Like the French") was published in 2012. See her
|| Please contact us for information
on fees and suggestions for a custom-made talk.
is French, a retired international banker (see resume)
and a graduate of the elite "grandes écoles".
After retirement in 2005, he studied at
the Sorbonne and obtaine a PhD. in history in 2013 with a dissertation on "The history of American firms in France since 1890". He is the webmaster of the website
www.understandfrance.org (over 0.5 m single visitors/year)
To top of the page
Back to home
Rochefort writes articles and books about France and the French.
Order her books :
- "Joie de Vivre", Secrets of Wining, Dining and Romancing like the French, St.Martin's Press, New York, 2012
- "French Toast, An American in Paris
Celebrates The Maddening Mysteries of the French", St.Martin's Press,
New York, 1999
- "French Fried, The Culinary Capers
of An American in Paris", St.Martin's Press, New York, 2001
More on Harriet's books (excerpts, upcoming
events, testimonials, etc..)
Harriet and Philippe
also organize Wine & Cheese
Tastings : a wonderful
highlight of your trip to Paris (Read more) and visits of the Pere Lachaise cemetery : an other worldly experience (Read more)
If you like
this site, please bookmark it or create a link!