for the Chinese
Chinese Visitor ! This
site is designed mostly for American visitors but along the way,
I have collected various information which could be useful for
Chinese visitors too. Thank you for your feed-back and suggestions
: I hope some of them can help and this page is under construction.
Welcome to Chinese visitors and expats to France !
Cher visiteur chinois ! Ce site est conçu essentiellement
pour des visiteurs américains mais en le rédigeant,
il m'arrive de trouver des éléments qui peuvent
aussi être utiles à des chinois. Merci de vos réactions
et suggestions : j'espère que certaines pourront rendre
service et cette page est encore en construction. Bienvenue aux
visiteurs et expatriés chinois en France !
| A few tips for Chinese visitors...
|| A brief history of the
Chinese community in France
Read three books in Chinese on France and the French
The webmaster's wife, Harriet Welty
Rochefort, has published three books on France and the French.
They have been translated and published in Chinese :
- The story of adjusting to
life in France, French
Toast, was published in Chinese by Walnut Tree Publishing
Co in 2000 (see : picture middle)
- A book on the French and
their eating habits, French Fried was
translated and published in Chinese in 2002 (see : picture
- A book on the French Joie de Vivre : their specific and unique way of enjoying life's pleasures, published by Nurnberg Associates International in 2012 (see picture above).
First wave 1917 : 140,000 Chinese worker to compensate
the lack of an industrial workforce during WW1 (mostly from Zheijiang) : they settled near Arts-et-Métiers
Since the 18th Century, Lyon, the French capital of silk, has had a long relationship with China ; the Institut franco-chinois de Lyon housed hundred of Chinese students between 1921 and 1946 (among them : Zhou-Enlai, Deng Xiaoping, Chen Yi, Nie Rongzhen or Cai Hesen)
Second wave 1950s : Chinese immigrants from former French
Indochina (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia) : they settled in the 13rth
Arrondissement ("Chinatown") ; many of them operate
Third wave, recently : Chinese immigrants mostly from
rural Northern China : they settled in Belleville
(11th, 19th and 20th arrondissement) ; many of them work in the
Chinese Christian churches include : Sainte Elisabeth (near République,
Catholic), Notre Dame de Chine (13th, Catholic), Rue d'Annam
Near Paris, in the little city
of Montargis, a Franco-Chinese association has designed
a touristic circuit to show where many future Chinese political
leaders lived and worked between 1912 and 1927. Among them :
Zhou Enlai, Chen Yi, Li Fuchun, Li Weihan, Ba Jin, Deng Xiaoping...
Today, the estimate number of people of Chinese origin in France is 400,000
More to come
| France and China : a few facts...
||Chinese investment in France
The French system for the education of engineers and high-class scientists (preparatory class + engineering school : see details) has been transferred to China with success.
- in 2005 the groupe of Ecoles Centrales helped the University of Beihang to set up an Ecole Centrale de Beijing, forming 120 engineers a year in French and with exactly the same programs of "generalist" engineers as in France (first graduation in Nov .2011)
- in 2008 the Ecole Supérieure d'Aéronautique (Toulouse) did the same in Shanghai with GEA Tianjin for aeronautical engineers
- and in 2010, the Institut Polytechnique de Grenoble and a few other schools launched the Franco-Chinese Institute of Nuclear Energy (IFCEN) in Canton
DID YOU KNOW THAT.....? A Chinese artist designs new fine wine label : JoongAng Xu, 47, is the art director of the Today Art Museum, a major Beijung contemporary museum. "It's above all else a personal choice rather than a commercial...."
- ChIna is investing more and more in France. In 2012, China was the 8th foreign investor in France. Chinese investments are generally related to the sector of tourism.
- French companies recently bought by Chinese and Hong-Kong investors include : Conserves de Provence (canned food), Tapis de Cogolin (carpets), NFM Technologies (mole machines), Sonia Rykiel (fashion), Club Med (2014), Toulouse airport, Accor Hotels (2016), etc...
- More to come...
Facts and figures about France for Chinese visitors
- France has a very specific educational system and, like in China, diplomas are very important to characterize somebody : read about education in France
- In France, older women can use make-up and perfume without being criticized
- In public places, being dressed casually, smoking, kissing is OK for the French
- In business, to better understand intercultural differences read : ZHENG, Li-Hua & al., How the Chinese See the Europeans. Essay on the Perceptions and Values of the Chinese, Le Manuscrit, Paris, 2016
- more to come ...
- The Chinese New Year parades are very popular and there are
several : the most spectacular are the one betwee the Hotel de
Ville and the Place de la République, and the one on Avenue
de Choisy in the 13th.
||Visit some other selected
pages of this site
- The best collection of Chinese
art is at the Musée Guimet (6 Place d'Iena, 75016)
and the Musée Cernuschi (7 Avenue Velasquez, 75017), smaller,
offers a beautiful collection of ancient China artefacts in a
delightful little palace. There is also the small Musée
d'Ennery (59 Avenue Foch, 75016)
- Best known Chinese artists
in Paris include
- François Cheng (writer, b.1929)
living in Paris, poet, calligraph and translatorin Chinese of the best of French literature, elected at the French Academy, one of the most read French poets (he writes in French)
- Gao Xingjian (b.1940) writer and painter, Nobel
Prize, living in Paris
- Also living in Paris Ma Desheng (painter and poet) and Wang Keping (sculptor), two of the founders of XingXing, the first Chinese movement of contemporary art
- Zao Wou-Ki (1920-2013) painter, lived
- Ieoh Ming Pei (architect) who
designed the Pyramid of the Louvre Museum
- Zhang Yimou (movie director)
- Read about non-French artists and writers who lived in Paris
- The Chinese community in France :
- Restaurant Le President, 120 faubourg du temple 75011 (in Belleville) : famous for its (Chinese) marriages
- Centre Culturel Chinois, 77 rue Dunois 75013 01 45 82 96 78
- A gallery specialized in Chinese and Asian contemporary art : Lipao-Huang, 16 rue Dauphine -75006
- THE Chinese grocery shop in Paris : Tang Freres, 48 avenue d'Ivry - 75013
- Church : Catholic services in Chinese : Notre-Dame-de-Chine 27 avenue de Choisy - 75013
- More to come...
Some pages of this site
can be useful for Chinese visitors and expats, as they can help
them to better understand France and the French.
Do you know
that France has more than 360 different sorts of cheeses ?
To related pages : life in France, French specificities, American Paris, Canadian Paris, Japanese Paris, Indian Paris, Australian Paris,
of the page
Back to home
For more on intercultural
differences, order Harriet Welty Rochefort's books :
- "Joie de Vivre", Secrets of Wining, Dining and Romancing like the French, St.Martin's Press, New York, 2012
- "French Toast, An American in Paris
Celebrates The Maddening Mysteries of the French", St.Martin's Press,
New York, 1999
- (in French)
: "French Toast - Heureuse comme une Américaine
en France", Ramsay, Paris, 2005
- "French Fried, The Culinary Capers
of An American in Paris", St.Martin's Press, New York, 2001
More on Harriet's books (excerpts, upcoming
events, testimonials, etc..)
Philippe Rochefort gives
P-to-P training sessions
for executives newly assigned to France
or separately, Harriet and Philippe speak
about Intercultural Differences : click here for information.